Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

$2.00 Custom Art w/ Tutorial!

So, I absolutely love the Clearance/Discount area of HobbyLobby. That's always the first section I head for, because face it some artsy stuff is just too dang expensive! Anyway, upon shuffling through the clearance aisle I stumbled upon two pieces of stretched fabric on canvas stretchers.


So not really my style of fabric, but hey you can't beat getting these for $1.00 each! So...after finding these I thought that I could take off the old fabric and use some left over fabric and make some cute wall art for Mary's room.

So .... here we go!

Step One - Remove the old fabric from around the frame. To do this flip over the canvas and pull out the staples or nails with pliers. Pretty easy to do!

Step Two - Take your new fabric and and cut it down to size. Leave about two inches of fabric on either side to insure that you have enough fabric to staple or nail to the frame.

Step Three - Now, staple or nail the fabric down to one of the edges of the frame then do the opposite edge, pulling tightly. Then do the other two edges the same way. Leave the corners to do last.

Step Four - How to fold the corners. To finish the corners, tuck in the extra fabric as if you're wrapping a gift. Then staple or nail them to secure. Trim any extra fabric off with scissors.

Here's a picture of what the back should look like


Here's a picture of what the front looks like.


Now I didn't want to leave mine plain so I sketched a little "retro" bird, a branch, and a bird house to add to the art.

I sketched the images onto Heat N Bond iron on adhesive. I then adhered the heat n bond to some fabric and cut out the images. Then I ironed the images on to the canvas.

Here's the final result:



Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

  1. That's super cool! I think I might have to make some of these for my kids. Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part is if the kids manage to get their hands on these at least they were a)cheap to make and b) lightweight in case one toddler decides to wack the other one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even you can put the great creative art ideas on canvas. I can be any slogan with attractive graphics.

    personalised custom canvas art

    ReplyDelete